Pages

Monday 19 December 2011

A thank you letter

The Institute Of Advanced Motorists

IAM House

510 Chiswick High Road

London

W4 5RG

 

4th December 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to express my appreciation of the observers & examiners associated with the Mid Kent Group of the IAM based in Maidstone, Kent. I have thoroughly enjoyed my experiences of the lectures and observed drives, and sharing knowledge with other candidates.

 

Being a keen driver, and having treated myself to a high performance car, I thought that taking a course leading to the advanced driving test seemed like a good idea – particularly if it helped reduce rises in insurance premiums!

 

After my first lesson, I was sceptical about some of the techniques (eg. separation of braking and gear changing), but my mentors encouraged me to persevere, telling me that most newcomers to advanced driving experienced similar feelings in one way or another.

With practice and moving through subsequent observed drives, I recognised that instead of getting worse, my driving had started to improve – it was smoother and I was making better progress – traffic permitting!

 

I was very impressed with the standard of teaching from my observers. They each had their own style, but their advice was consistent and from time to time embellished with personal tips.

I am very grateful to all the volunteers from the Mid Kent Group along with the local examiners who do a fantastic job helping to improve driving standards and safety in Kent. Not to be forgotten are the group's social events too – my son and I had a thoroughly exhilarating (and educational) morning with a police instructor on a skid pan recently.

Particular thanks go to organisers John Bowman & Mick Cranford, and observers Dave Hudson, Lee Wallis, Nick Skew, David Cobham and then Steve Poile who stood in at short notice to take me on an extra drive due to my delayed test.

 

Lastly, but not least, thanks go to my examiner, Terry Friday. I don't think I've ever enjoyed myself so much under 'exam' conditions before. Terry's experience shone though in all the advice he passed to me during and after the test, and it was great to hear some of his stories too!

 

Having passed the IAM advanced test, I am now enjoying my driving even more and believe that as a result of all the knowledge and advice from the Mid Kent Group and examiners, I am a more skilled, a more confident and a safer driver.

 

So I'd like to close with a big thank-you to the IAM, The Mid Kent Group and the local Examiners.

 

Yours sincerely,

 

Mr Adrian Caws

No comments:

Post a Comment